It’s a week since I finished Julia’s programme and I’ve had a chance to reflect on what I’ve learned over the course of the 12 weeks. There were some real light bulb moments for me but also a whole host of other things which I learned along the way.
- I really enjoy lifting weights, and it turns out I’m pretty good at it. In my first week on the programme I used a 9kg weight for a bent over row. Just 12 weeks later I am lifting 42kg;
- Sprinting for short periods of time is fun. There’s nothing quite like running all out for 30secs to a minute to make you feel really alive;
- My core muscles are in reasonable shape – I managed the advanced versions of pretty much everything Julia threw at us. Underneath the layer of fat I think there’s a six pack just waiting to be discovered;
- I miss running when I haven’t done it for a while – I miss the time outdoors and the sense of accomplishment I get at the end of a run. I am glad it’s now back in my life. But, I know that running by itself isn’t going to get me to my fat loss goals and that regular long distance running might actually hinder my progress
- I cannot out train a bad diet. It starts with food. 70% is about diet, 30% about exercise
- Processed carbohydrate really drives my appetite. The more of it I eat, the more food I want;
- When I eat clean my appetite is a lot less than when I eat processed, sugary foods;
- I like coffee without the addition of sugar or syrups;
- Eggs are the breakfast of champions – I love them;
- Protein shakes aren’t just for body builders;
- I feel much better without sugar in my life and I don’t really miss it;
- I can go without alcohol for a week;
- Intermittent Fasting is an effective tool for fat loss and it’s easier than I first thought it would be
- I’m determined and committed. Once I’ve set my mind to doing something it gets done;
- I CAN lose fat and I know that by carrying on with this approach I will eventually get to my target – a healthy level of body fat;
- I now believe that being a size 10 is genuinely within my reach
- I would rather be strong than skinny!
Taking part in Julia’s programme has changed me for the better, and not just physically. I now have everything I need to get my to my goal of being fit before 40 and am determined that I’m going to get there.
Julia’s going to be running another round of the programme soon. If you’re interested in taking part then follow her on Twitter @Julia_B or look her up on Facebook.
My advice to anyone thinking about it is simple – do it, give it everything you’ve got and you’ll be amazed at what you can achieve.